Most Indian Motorcycle models feature key fobs and keyless ignition.
To start those bikes, observe the following guidelines.
Key Fob Overview
Indian Motorcycle models equipped with keyless ignition feature one of two key fobs.
The basic key fob is buttonless. This fob, pictured below, authenticates the motorcycle for start-up and operation.
The multi-function fob, pictured below, has two buttons. This is for motorcycles with electronically lockable storage. The fob not only authenticates the motorcycle, but can also remotely lock and unlock the saddlebags and/or trunk. These fobs also can arm and disarm the integrated alarm/immobilizer feature.
Starting Key Fob Operation
When the electrical system is activated with either the power switch or the starter switch, the key fob must be within range. The usual range of the key fob is within 3 feet of the motorcycle. If the key fob is not detected, the security light and/or power switch will flash. The electrical system will automatically shut down. The starter motor will not engage during this time. If a key fob is not available, your personal identification number (PIN) can be entered using the turn signal switches to unlock the security system and start the motorcycle.
Driving Key Fob Operation
After starting the engine, the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) will verify that the key fob is within range again when shifting from neutral into gear. The security light may turn on during this check. The VCM will not search for the key fob again after the vehicle has moved. If the key fob is lost during riding, the PIN will be needed to restart the vehicle.
If the key fob is not detected when shifting into gear:
- The horn will sound and the security light and/or power switch will flash.
- The engine will then turn off.
- The electrical system will then automatically shut down.
Key Fob Storage
The key fob should not be stored in the phone storage compartment or near devices that can interfere with radio waves, such as cell phones, power supplies or magnets, during operation.
Key Fob Batteries
Read more about the battery, battery life and battery replacement for your key fob in Key Fob Batteries.
Key Fob Replacement
If your key fob is lost or stolen, see your Indian Motorcycle Dealer for assistance in ordering a replacement. Also note that only an Indian Motorcycle Dealer can re-sync a fob.
Alarm System Operation
The alarm/immobilizer feature can be activated using the multi-function, two-button key fob.
Note: The alarm system is NOT available on vehicles with a buttonless fob.
To activate the alarm, press the LOCK button on the key fob two times. The horn will sound briefly to confirm that the alarm is activated.
To deactivate the alarm, make sure your key fob is within range. Then do one of five things:
- Press the UNLOCK button on the key fob.
- Press the power button on the console panel.
- Press the starter button.
- Press the LOCK/UNLOCK switch on the center console.
- Move the motorcycle to the fully upright position from leaning on the sidestand. The horn will sound repeatedly if the key fob is not detected within 5 seconds.
Unlocking The Security System
Your dealer will provide the master personal identification number (PIN) for the security system. Your dealer may also change the master PIN to a new rider PIN on your behalf. Tip: Write down your PIN inside your Owner's Manual for easy reference.
Change the dealer-provided PIN to a PIN of your own choosing as soon as possible after receiving delivery of your new motorcycle or after buying a used motorcycle.
If a key fob is not available, your rider PIN can be entered using the turn signal switches to unlock the security system. Use the following guide to enter your valid rider PIN:
You can also enter the security PIN on the RIDE COMMAND screen on certain model year 2019 to present Indian Motorcycle models.
Changing Your Security System PIN with RIDE COMMAND
On vehicles equipped with RIDE COMMAND, you can change the PIN on the touchscreen display.
To change your PIN, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Settings > Vehicle > Passcode Unlock.
2. Select SET CUSTOM PASSCODE.
3. Enter your existing passcode.
4. Enter your new passcode.
5. Enter the passcode again to confirm. A confirmation will pop up on the screen that the passcode has been changed.
Changing Your Security System PIN
To change your PIN, you must have either the key fob or your existing valid PIN to gain access to the security system. If the key fob is not detected or is not available and you cannot remember your PIN, please see your Indian Motorcycle Dealer.
Please read the entire procedure before beginning.
1. Turn the power switch on. Do NOT start the engine. The security light and/or power switch will turn on briefly until the key fob is detected or until the valid current PIN is entered.
2. Push or hold the turn signal CANCEL switch for 10 seconds until the security light and/or power switch turn on. Note: On models with Infotainment Display, a pop-up window will appear during this procedure stating that the key fob is out of range.
3. Enter either the master PIN or your current four-digit rider PIN within 20 seconds. If the PIN is successfully entered, the security light and/or power switch will remain on and the horn will sound briefly. Tip: If the valid PIN is not entered within 20 seconds, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system will shut down. Return to step 1 to try again.
Entering your New Rider PIN
4. Enter a new four-digit security PIN of your own choosing. If the PIN is successfully entered, the security light and/or power switch will remain on and the horn will sound briefly. Proceed to step 5. Tip: If the four-digit PIN is not successfully entered within 20 seconds, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system exits the procedure. Return to step 1 to try again.
5. Re-enter the new four-digit PIN. If this entry matches the first entry, the security light and/or power switch will turn off and the horn will sound briefly. The new rider PIN has been saved. Record your new rider PIN in your Owner's Manual. Tip: If the second entry is not entered within 20 seconds or does not match the first entry, the security light and/or power switch will flash for 10 seconds, then the system exits the procedure. The new PIN was NOT saved. Continue to use your former valid PIN. Return to step 1 to try again.
The below video demonstrates how to reset the PIN on a non-RIDE COMMAND motorcycle.
For more maintenance procedures, consult your Owner's Manual.
To find replacement parts for your motorcycle, use the online parts catalog.
To find an Indian Motorcycle Dealer near you, use the Dealer Locator.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC
© 2022 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC