When changing the oil on your Indian FTR 1200 or 1200 S, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. To change the oil and filter on your FTR 1200 or 1200 S, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface.
2. Start the engine and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Stop the engine.
4. Remove any debris near the engine oil fill plug and remove the plug.
5. Clean the area around the oil drain plugs.
6. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
7. Using a 6mm Allen socket, remove both drain plugs and allow the oil to drain completely.
8. While the oil is draining, remove the engine oil filter with a 2.5-inch (64mm) oil filter wrench.
9. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the crankcase. Make sure the old filter O-ring is completely removed.
10. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil. Ensure the O-ring is in good condition.
11. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface, and then turn it an additional 3/4 of a turn. The oil filter for an FTR 1200 or 1200 S is part number 2540086.
12. Inspect the drain plugs and sealing surfaces. Install new sealing washers on the drain plugs. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plugs and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
13. Clean the sealing surfaces and reinstall the drain plugs. Torque to 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm).
14. Wipe up any residual oil on the vehicle.
15. Fill the engine with 3 quarts (2.8 liters) of oil through the oil fill cap. For a new or rebuilt (dry) engine, add an additional 0.5 quarts (0.47 liters).
16. Reinstall the oil fill plug.
17. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 30 seconds.
18. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
19. Inspect the engine oil sight glass for proper oil level. Add oil as needed. The oil level should be in the middle of the two indicator marks on the sight glass.Typically, an additional 0.25 quarts to 0.75 quarts are required.
20. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
21. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Resetting the Oil Life Interval on FTR 1200 S Models
After changing the engine oil and filter on an FTR 1200 S, reset the oil life/service counter on the Ride Command display. To do so, follow these steps:
1. Press the center button on the Ride Command console to access the App Tray.
2. Select SETTINGS.
3. Select the motorcycle icon to navigate to vehicle settings.
4. Choose the OIL LIFE menu.
5. The OIL LIFE menu will show you how many miles are remaining before your next recommended oil and filter change. To reset the counter, click the reset button.
6. Confirm you wish to reset the oil life counter by selecting RESET.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.