Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. To remove and replace the battery on your Indian Challenger, follow these steps:
1. Park the motorcycle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the bike is powered OFF.
3. Remove the two chin fairing fasteners with a 6mm Allen socket.
4. Then remove the chin fairing.
5. Remove the battery bracket fastener with a 6mm Allen socket. Then rotate the bracket out and pull back to remove.
6. Start by disconnecting the negative battery cable first with a 10mm socket to prevent arcing. Position the cable out of the way.
7. Remove the positive cable protector boot from the positive battery cable and disconnect the cable from the terminal with a 10mm socket. Position the cable out of the way.
8. Reinstalling the fasteners into the posts will help prevent misplacement.
9. Slide the battery out from the battery box to remove. Pushing up from underneath the bracket will help guide the battery out.
10. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery. The battery is part number 4019242.
11. Thoroughly clean the battery box and inspect for damage. Ensure the pad is properly located and in good condition.
12. Carefully install the battery into the battery box while lifting up from underneath the bracket to help guide it into place.
13. Connect the positive battery terminal first to prevent arcing. Torque the fastener to 48 in-lbs (5.4 Nm).
14. Then, connect the negative battery terminal. Torque the fastener to 48 in-lbs (5.4 Nm).
15. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
16. Verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
17. Turn the bike ON to verify the battery has been connected properly.
18. Reinstall the battery bracket, ensuring the retention tab is fully engaged.
19. Reinstall the bracket fastener. Torque to 84 in-lbs (10 Nm).
20. Next, reinstall the chin fairing, ensuring the tabs are aligned on the bottom.
21. Reinstall the fasteners. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.