|Required Tools and Supplies
|Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
|5mm and 6mm Allen Sockets
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle.
To remove and replace the battery on your Indian Springfield, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface and ensure it is powered off.
2. Remove the upper side covers by pulling the corners straight out to disengage from the rubber grommets in the frame.
3. Next, use a 6mm Allen socket to remove the two outside fasteners securing the driver’s seat to the frame.
4. Then lift the rear of the seat and pull rearward to disengage the front retaining arms.
5. Continue by using a 5mm Allen socket to remove the fastener securing the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) mounting plate to the top of the battery.
6. Slide the VCM assembly forward to disengage the retaining tabs and carefully place it out of the way. Do not disconnect the VCM. Ensure it does not touch the positive battery terminal or cable, as this can cause the VCM to short out.
7. Next, use a 10mm socket to remove the negative battery cable first to prevent arcing. Position it out of the way.
8. Then slide the protector boot away from the positive battery cable and remove the cable from the terminal with a 10mm socket. Position the cable out of the way. Reinstalling the fasteners onto the posts will help prevent misplacement.
9. Carefully lift the battery straight up and out of the battery box.
10. Inspect the battery box for damage. Make sure the pads are properly located and in good condition.
11. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
12. Carefully position the battery into the battery box with the negative terminal toward the front of the motorcycle.
13. Reinstall the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Ensure it is routed perpendicular to the long side of the battery. Torque the cable fastener to 45 in-lbs (5 Nm) and reinstall the cable protector boot.
14. Then reinstall the negative cable, ensuring it is routed perpendicular to the battery. Torque to 45 in-lbs (5 Nm).
15. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
16. Before reassembly, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
17. Next, carefully reinstall the VCM mounting plate and fastener, avoiding any contact with the positive battery cable. Torque to 84 in-lbs (9.5 Nm).
18. Turn the bike ON before proceeding to verify the battery has been connected properly.
19. Reinstall the seat by engaging the front retainers and aligning the mounting holes.
20. Then reinstall the two side fasteners. Torque to 84 in-lbs (9.5 Nm).
21. Finally, align the three side panel grommets and reinstall each upper side panel.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC
© 2022 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC