Required Tools and Supplies:
- 5mm Allen Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Shop Rags
- Nitrile Gloves
- Eye Protection
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. To inspect or replace the air filter on your model year 2022 and newer Indian Chief, Chief Dark Horse, Chief Bobber, Chief Bobber Dark Horse, Super Chief or Super Chief Limited, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface, and allow it to cool completely.
2. Clean around the airbox, using a clean and dry shop towel.
3. Remove the three airbox cover fasteners with a 5mm Allen socket.
4. Pull the airbox cover out to remove from the bike, and inspect the cover seal. Replace if needed. The cover seal is part number 5417175.
5. Remove the air filter and inspect for any excessive debris or damage. If necessary, replace with an Indian Motorcycle-approved air filter from your dealer. Do not attempt to clean the air filter. The air filter is part number 5814902.
6. Before continuing, clean the airbox thoroughly. Dirt or debris in the intake could result in severe engine damage.
7. Install the air filter into the airbox, and press in until fully seated.
8. Reinstall the cover. Torque the fasteners to 7.4 ft-lbs (10 Nm). The seal should fit evenly over the airbox cover.
9. Ensure the airbox is fully sealed, and that the seal has not rolled over in any areas.
10. Start the bike to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.