Required Tools and Supplies:
- 5/8-inch Spark Plug Socket
- Air Chuck
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your model year 2022 and newer Indian Chief, Chief Dark Horse, Chief Bobber, Chief Bobber Dark Horse, Super Chief or Super Chief Limited, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface, allow it to cool completely, and ensure the power switch is OFF.
2. Clean the area around the spark plug boots with a clean, dry cloth.
3. Pull upward on the spark plug boots and rotate under the tank to remove from the plugs.
4. Before continuing, blow any dirt or debris out of the spark plug wells with compressed air to prevent anything from falling into the cylinders.
5. Carefully loosen the two spark plugs with a 5/8-inch spark plug socket, and remove them from the vehicle.
6. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup, and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
7. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. The gap should measure 0.034 inches (0.9 mm).
8. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. The spark plug is NGK® DCPR8E part number 3088051.
9. Install the spark plugs into the engine. Torque to 12.7 ft-lbs (17.20 Nm).
10. Reinstall the spark plug boots, and ensure they are fully seated.
11. Before continuing, verify that the connections are properly secured.
12. Start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.