The airbox is located on the left side of the motorcycle on your Chief, Indian Springfield, Chieftain or Roadmaster. Inspect the air filter often if riding in unusually wet or dusty conditions. Replace the filter at the intervals specified in the Periodic Maintenance Table found in your Owner's Manual. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your motorcycle.
Follow these steps to remove, reinstall or replace the air filter.
1. Using a 4mm Allen socket, remove the airbox screws (1) and remove the cover (2).
2. Using an 8mm socket, remove the three air filter screws (3) and remove the air filter assembly.
3. Remove the air filter (4).
4. Clean the filter sealing surface on the backing plate.
5. Verify that the airbox cover seal is properly seated in the groove around the outer edge of the air box backing plate.
6. Position the air filter assembly against the airbox backing plate.
7. Reinstall the three screws. Torque to 5 ft-lbs (7 Nm).
8. Reinstall the external airbox cover and screws. Torque to 7.4 ft-lbs (10 Nm). Note: A loose fitting cover or improperly installed filter element may allow debris to enter the engine, which may cause premature engine wear.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you through the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.