|Required Tools and Supplies|
|2.5-Inch Oil Filter Wrench||10mm Socket|
|6mm Allen Socket||Ratchet|
|Torque Wrench||Drain Pan|
|Safety Glasses||Nitrile Gloves|
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. The oil change kit is part number 2884171. The kit includes five quarts of Indian Motorcycle Full Synthetic 15W-60 oil, one oil filter, one washer and one O-ring.
To change the oil and filter on your Indian Challenger, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface.
2. Start the engine and allow it to warm up at idle for 5 minutes.
3. Stop the engine.
4. Clean the area around the oil dipstick.
5. Remove the dipstick and set aside.
6. Place a drain pan underneath the engine crankcase. Placing a rag in the bottom of the drain pan will help prevent the splashing of oil.
7. If needed, remove the side stand bumper bracket with a 10mm socket for improved clearance to the drain plug.
8. Then clean the area around the oil drain plug.
9. Remove the drain plug with a 6mm Allen socket and allow the oil to drain completely.
10. Next, remove the engine oil filter from underneath the bike and behind the radiator. Use a 2.5-inch (64 mm) oil filter wrench.
11. Lubricate the O-ring on the new filter with a film of fresh engine oil and ensure it’s in good condition.
12. Using a clean dry cloth, clean the filter sealing surface on the engine.
13. Install the new filter and rotate it clockwise by hand until the filter gasket contacts the sealing surface. Then turn it an additional ¾ of a turn. The oil filter is part number 2521421. An oil filter is included in the oil change kit.
14. Inspect the drain plug. The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and engine should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
15. Remove the old O-ring on the drain plug and replace with a new one. The O-ring is part number 5417503. It is included in the oil change kit.
16. Install a new sealing washer and reinstall the drain plug. Torque to 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm) and wipe up any residual oil on the bike. The sealing washer is part number 5812232. It is included in the oil change kit.
17. If necessary, reinstall the side stand bumper bracket. Torque the fastener to 84 in-lbs (9.5 Nm).
18. Start by adding only 4 quarts (3.8 liters) of the recommended oil, which is Indian Motorcycle Full Synthetic 15W-60.
19. Reinstall the dipstick securely.
20. With the motorcycle in an upright and centered position, start the engine and idle for approximately 30 seconds.
21. Stop the engine and inspect for leaks.
22. Remove the dipstick again and add an additional 1 quart (or 0.95 liters) of engine oil. Do not overfill.
23. Next, start the engine and allow it to idle for 30 seconds to begin the final oil level check.
24. Stop the engine.
25. With the aid of an assistant, stand the bike upright.
26. Remove the dipstick and wipe clean.
27. Thread the dipstick until fully seated.
28. Remove the dipstick and ensure the oil level is within the safe operating range.
29. Reinstall the dipstick securely. After an oil change, the low oil pressure indicator may illuminate when the engine is started. If this occurs, do not increase the RPM above idle speed until the indicator turns off.
30. Dispose of the used oil and filter properly at your local recycling facility.
31. Finally, power the bike ON to reset the oil life.
33. Access the drop-down menu by touching the Indian Motorcycle logo at the top of the display. Then select ALL SETTINGS.
34. Navigate to the VEHICLE tab.
35. Select OIL LIFE / SERVICE.
36. The Oil Life/Service screen will tell you how many miles are remaining before an oil and filter change is recommended. To reset the oil life, select RESET.
37. Confirm the oil life reset by selecting RESET.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC
© 2022 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC