|Required Tools and Supplies
|Dielectric Grease or Petroleum Jelly
|5mm and 6mm Allen Sockets
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. To remove and replace the battery on your Roadmaster, follow these steps:
1. Park the motorcycle on a flat, level surface.
2. Ensure the bike is powered off.
3. Remove the upper side covers by pulling the corners evenly straight outward to disengage each tab from the rubber grommets in the frame.
4. If the trunk lock fastener is equipped, saddlebag removal will be required.
- Start by disconnecting the saddlebag lock wiring near the seat.
- Then press the lid latch release button and open the bags.
- Remove the two saddlebag fasteners inside each bag with a 6mm Allen socket.
- Then tilt each saddlebag away and remove.
- Next, remove the mounting fastener from each trunk latch with a 6mm Allen socket.
5. To remove the trunk:
- First, disconnect the trunk harness multi-plug.
- Lift both trunk latches to unlock the trunk from the mount.
- Then lift up on the rear of the trunk and slide rearward to release the trunk from the motorcycle.
6. If necessary, lift up the seat skirt and use a 6mm Allen socket to remove the two fasteners securing the driver’s seat to the frame.
7. Remove the passenger seat fastener and washer with a 6mm Allen socket.
8. Then lift the rear of the seat to gain access to the heated seat connector and disconnect the connector.
9. Pull to the rear to disengage the front retaining arms on the bracket behind the fuel tank and remove the seat assembly.
10. Using a 5mm Allen socket, remove the fastener securing the Vehicle Control Module mounting plate to the top of the battery box.
11. Slide the VCM assembly forward to disengage the tabs. Carefully place out of the way. Do not disconnect the VCM. Ensure the VCM does not touch the positive battery terminal or cable, as this can cause it to short out.
12. Using a 10mm socket, remove the negative battery cable first to prevent arcing and position the cable out of the way.
13. Remove the positive protector boot from the positive battery cable and use a 10mm socket to remove the cable from the terminal. Position out of the way.
14. Reinstalling the fasteners onto the posts will help prevent misplacement.
15. Lift the battery straight up and out of the battery box.
16. Inspect the battery box for damage. Ensure the pads are properly located and in good condition.
17. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
18. Carefully position the battery into the battery box with the negative terminal toward the front of the motorcycle.
19. Route the positive cable perpendicular to the long side of the battery. Install the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 45 in-lbs (5 Nm).
20. Also, reinstall the positive cable protector boot.
21. Then install the negative cable. Route the cable perpendicular to the battery. Torque to 45 in-lbs (5 Nm).
22. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
23. Verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
24. Carefully reinstall the VCM mounting plate and fastener, avoiding any contact with the positive battery cable. Torque to 84 in-lbs (9 Nm).
25. Turn the bike ON to verify the battery has been connected properly.
26. Align the front seat retainers and reconnect the heated seat connector.
27. Then engage the front retainers and align the seat mounting holes.
28. Loosely install the passenger seat fastener and washer.
29. Then loosely install the two driver’s seat fasteners.
30. Torque all three seat fasteners to 84 in-lbs (9 Nm).
31. To reinstall the trunk assembly:
- Position the trunk harness on the fender.
- Slide the trunk forward onto the mounting bracket and lower the rear of the trunk until fully seated. Use care to ensure no electrical wires or connectors are pinched
- Push the trunk locking levers down to secure the trunk.
- Reconnect the trunk harness connector.
- If the saddlebags were removed, install the mounting fasteners into the left and right locking levers. Torque to 84 in-lbs (9 Nm).
- Place each bag in the fully seated position on the muffler.
- Reinstall the saddlebag fasteners. Torque to 18 ft-lbs (24 Nm).
- Reconnect the electrical wiring and verify the saddlebags have been installed properly.
32. Finally, align the three side panel grommets and reinstall each upper side panel.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC
© 2022 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC