|Required Tools and Supplies|
|Shop Rags||Safety Glasses|
|Nitrile Gloves||Dielectric Grease
or Petroleum Jelly
|10mm Socket||6mm Allen Socket|
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle. To remove and install the battery on your FTR 1200, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface.
2. Turn the ignition switch off and remove the key.
3. Move down to the front of the bike and remove the three battery cover fasteners with a 6mm Allen socket.
4. Then remove the cover.
5. Using a 10mm socket, disconnect the negative battery cable first to prevent arcing and set aside.
6. Then use the 10mm socket to disconnect the positive battery cable from the terminal. Set aside.
7. Tilt the battery forward and remove from the bike.
8. Inspect the battery box for damage, ensuring the pads are properly located and in good condition. Also, clean out the box with a shop rag.
9. If reinstalling the battery, ensure it is fully charged and free of any debris or damage. Follow the instructions in the Battery Charging section of your Owner’s Manual before installing the battery.
10. Continue by carefully reinstalling the battery into the bike.
11. Next, reinstall the positive cable first to prevent arcing. Torque to 25 in-lbs (3 Nm) and reinstall the protector boot.
12. Then reinstall the negative cable. Torque to 25 in-lbs (3 Nm).
13. Apply a light film of dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to both terminals.
14. Before reassembly, verify the cables are secure and properly routed.
15. Next, turn the key ON before proceeding to verify the battery has been connected properly.
16. Continue by reinstalling the battery cover and aligning the mounting holes.
17. Finally, reinstall the three cover fasteners. Torque to 36 in-lbs (4 Nm).
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.