Required Tools and Supplies
- 5/8-Inch (12mm) Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle.
To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your Indian Sport Chief, follow these steps:
1. Park the bike on a flat, level surface, allow it to cool completely and ensure the power switch is off.
2. Clean the area around the spark plug boots with a clean, dry cloth.
3. Pull upward on the spark plug boots to remove from the plugs.
4. Blow any dirt or debris out of the spark plug wells with compressed air to prevent anything from falling into the cylinders.
5. Carefully loosen the two spark plugs with a 5/8-inch (12mm) spark plug socket and remove from the vehicle.
6. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup and verify there are no cracks around the insulation. The spark plug should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion.
7. Inspect and adjust the spark plug gap if needed. It should measure 0.034 inches (0.9mm).
8. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug. New spark plugs are part number 3088051.
9. Install the spark plugs into the engine, and torque to 12.7 ft-lbs (17.20 Nm).
10. Reinstall the spark plug boots, and ensure they are fully seated.
11. Verify that the connections are properly secured.
12. Start the engine to ensure proper operation.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
NGK® is a registered trademark of NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC.
© 2023 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC