Required Tools and Supplies
- 10mm Socket
- (2) 12mm Wrench
- 12mm Crow Foot
- Torque Wrench
- Adjustable Wrench
- Moly Assembly Grease or All-Purpose Grease
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Shop Rags
To learn more about tools, read the Tools and Fasteners Guide. Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Indian Motorcycle.
To properly maintain and adjust the clutch lever on your Indian Sport Chief, follow these steps:
1. Park the motorcycle on a flat, level surface and allow the vehicle to cool completely
2. Inspect the entire length of the clutch cable for any damage to the external casing. Also inspect any exposed cable wire for fraying, kinks or corrosion. Replace any cables that are damaged, sticky or sluggish.
3. Move down to the bottom of the clutch cover and loosen the clutch cable adjuster lock nut.
4. Use an adjustable wrench to rotate the clutch shaft arm until the tension has been released from the cable. Rotate the cable barrel out of the clutch shaft arm and release the clutch shaft.
5. Move to the left handlebar and remove the bottom hinge nut with a 10mm socket.
6. Push the pivot pin upward and remove from the handlebar.
7. Remove the clutch lever and rotate the cable barrel out of the lever.
8. Remove any old grease and dirt from the lever, housing and cable ends.
9. Lubricate the clutch lever and pivot screw with moly assembly grease or all-purpose grease.
10. Apply a thin coating of grease to both clutch cable ends. Warning: Do not lubricate between the cable and sheath.
11. Reinstall the clutch cable into the lever housing.
12. Install the clutch lever into the handlebar and align the pivot pin hole.
13. Reinstall the pivot pin fully and reinstall the nut. Torque the nut to 53 in-lbs (6 Nm).
14. Clean any residual grease off the bike.
15. Rotate the clutch shaft arm and reconnect the clutch cable into the lower cable housing.
16. Move to the bottom of the clutch cover and loosen the clutch cable adjuster locknut.
17. While holding the cable, turn the adjuster inward or outward with a 12mm wrench until the clutch lever free play is set to specification. Specification: 0.5 to 1.55 mm (.02 to 0.59 inches).
18. While holding the adjuster, torque the lock nut to 53 in-lbs (6 Nm) with a 12mm crow foot.
19. Finish by verifying proper operation of the clutch and repeat this procedure as needed. Warning: Ensure the engine does not start with the clutch lever released and the transmission in gear.
For more information, see your authorized Indian Motorcycle Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
YouTube® is a registered trademark of Google LLC
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Indian Motorcycle International, LLC.
© 2023 Indian Motorcycle International, LLC